Monday, April 30, 2012

A Moment Longer

As the War Drums again beat I followed my Horde Brothers and Sisters
to the Grim lands of Tol Barad, a barren pitiful speck of rock whose
roots soak with blood. I follow there whenever possible because the place
is a prison to the souls of those who can not pass on, forever chained to
that place, so I go to ensure the fallen in each battle find their way home.

When the cries of battle and the clang of steel passes and there is no further
glory to be had the victors and the defeated trudge off to heal their wounds,
and the battlefield becomes the home of the dead. Passing through the piles
of departed...Horde and Alliance I walk chasing off wicked spirits who seek
to claim another prize and helping guide those confused souls of the recently
departed find their way to the next place. It was during such work that I happened
upon a human man, huddled on his side, next to a tree. As I paused to look at him,
clear blue eyes looked up at me frightened, pained...Baron's will...this was a child.
His face clear and fresh as that of a youth, yet dressed in the garb of a man...sent
out to die. We Trolls are known for our brutality...but sending a child to war..is
even beyond our ken.

Stopping I stared down at the human and noticed the numerous and grievous wounds
that covered his body, his life had bleed the ground red around him and he lacked
the strength to reach the blade only a short way from his fingers. I saw his lips
curl into a snarl and while I did not understand his strange language, I perceived
that he challenged me. He had courage an admirable trait, but as his eyes swept
left and right and the realization sunk in that his companions had abandoned him
to his fate, I could feel the tightness in his heart grow as fear quickly replaced
his final attempt at bravado. I turned to leave him to his fate when he suddenly
raised his hand, a gesture...imploring me not to leave. Long did I stand struggling
with my feelings, this..man..this boy had likely sent friends to their death..yet still
I could not abandon him...Death cares not for banner on a shield, it only knows it's duty.

I moved to sit with the young man and for long unspoken moments we remained, he did not
wish to die alone, a simple request from a man who faced his demise. I retrieved his weapon
and placed it in is hand...to weak to hold it I closed his fingers around the handle. As I
watched his life slowly drip from him onto the cold rocks, and his breath shortened I sat
and waited a moment longer till with a gasp his life ended. I closed his eyes and rose
from my spot offering a blessing to the Baron to see this boy on his way. Turning to walk
off I paused to look back, no songs would recount this child's bravery, no stone would bear out his
deeds, in time no one would remember that he even existed, save for his enemy who with
compassion was willing to wait just...a moment longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment